An outreach ministry of City Point United Methodist Church
Sign up for December 2018 – February 2019
Room in the Inn is an outreach ministry in Fort Worth and North Richland Hills, providing hospitality through offering a hot home cooked meal, a placed for relaxing evening reading or playing games, a safe, comfortable night’s sleep, morning breakfast and a sack lunch to take with them when they leave.
The Room in the Inn program began in Nashville, Tennessee in 1985, during severe cold and hot months. Today in Nashville, over 150 churches participate.
In Fort Worth, the Room in the Inn program began in 2000, and now involves sixteen churches, four of them United Methodist Churches. During the hottest months, July and August and the coldest months, December, January and February, the churches host from five to fifteen homeless men or women each week.
At City Point United Methodist Church we currently host ten men each Tuesday night during these months. These men are screened by caseworkers at the Day Resource Center, near the Presbyterian Night Shelter. They are screened for any potential problems such as mental illness, alcohol, drugs, communicable diseases. They can shower, do their laundry and leave their possessions in a secure area at the Day Resource Center. We pick them up before 5:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and return them to the Day Resource Center after 7:00 a.m. on Wednesdays.
You can serve in the following ways:
- Driver to pickup guests at the Day Resource Center on East Lancaster. Must be an approved driver of church bus and leave CPUMC by 4:20 p.m. on Tuesday. To be trained and approved to drive the mini-bus, contact the church office.
- One or two to set out airbeds and make 12 beds with sheets and pillowcases on Tuesday before 5:00 p.m.
- One or more to provide and serve dinner on Tuesday for approximately fifteen people, and to be ready to serve by 5:15 p.m. Each meal needs to include Meat, Salad, Vegetable and Dessert.
- Provide breakfast for twelve by 6:00 a.m. on Wednesdays.
- Two innkeepers to arrive by 5:00 p.m. and spend the night on Tuesday.
- Driver to return guest to the Day Resource Center leaving the church by 7:00 a.m. Wednesday. To be trained and approved to drive the mini-bus, contact the church office.
- Two to each collect one half of the sheets and pillowcases and launder them. Pickup on Wednesday and return by Monday.
Contact Jack Teddlie at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or to sign up.